A TEEN has avoided conviction after he admitted to crashing a car while speeding along a gravel road north of Bendigo.
The 19-year-old boy appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Wednesday where he pleaded guilty to eight charges including careless driving and assault.
The court heard on the evening on September 21 last year, the teen was driving a Holden sedan in bushland near Inglewood with a 16-year-old boy in the front passenger seat.
The car was speeding along a gravel road when it came up to a steep incline.
The 19-year-old did not slow down so the car became airborne and the front bumper crashed into a water drain.
The Holden sedan slid along the gravel road for about 30 metres before stopping.
The court heard the 16-year-old passenger was dazed and had a blood nose.
The 19-year-old driver called 000 but told operators another car had collided into the Holden and fled the scene.
The driver refused to be hospitalised when paramedics arrived, but later brought himself to hospital for whiplash and concussion injuries.
The teen initially told police the false story before recounting the actual incident.
Read other news:
The court heard then on October 31, the teen had a verbal dispute with his mother.
The mother tried to get into her car to leave their home when the teen grabbed her by her top and dragged her out of the car.
The woman called 000 and the teen grabbed an axe handle to threaten her. The boy then grabbed and smashed the woman's phone onto the concrete.
Police arrived a short time later to find the teen pacing the driveway with the axe handle. He was arrested but declined an interview.
The teen's defence lawyer told the court the boy's father had died in the months leading up to the offending and the teen had been grief-stricken and using cannabis to cope.
The lawyer said his client was now seeing a counsellor and was receiving treatment for his mental health and anger management issues.
The lawyer submitted the teen was a young offender without any prior convictions so a good behaviour bond without conviction would be appropriate.
Magistrate Russell Kelly told the 19-year-old he was lucky he didn't seriously injure himself or his passenger during the September crash.
But Mr Kelly commended the boy for taking steps to address his behaviour and said his early guilty plea demonstrated his remorse.
The magistrate sentenced the teen to a 12-month good behaviour bond without conviction.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: