A CENTRAL Victorian man who was allegedly found with 61 child abuse images says someone else downloaded the material onto his phone.
The 39-year-old appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court last week after he was charged with possessing child abuse material.
The court heard police executed a search warrant at the man's house on August 20 last year after he allegedly posted child abuse material on his Twitter account.
Read other court news:
Police seized items including an Apple iPhone that was owned and used by the man.
A second search warrant was executed at the man's house on August 28
The man was arrested and interviewed.
Police viewed the man's phone and found 61 child abuse images saved as PDFs. The images were of naked pre-pubescent children.
The man denied possessing the images and said someone else must have downloaded the material onto his phone.
He also told officers he was the owner of the phone and he was the only one who used it.
The man's defence lawyer told the court detectives were yet to analyse the phone to determine whether someone had tampered with the device.
The matter was adjourned for a contest hearing in July.
The man's bail was extended to his next court date.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark bendigoadvertiser.com.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/BgoAddy
- Follow us on Instagram instagram.com/bendigoadvertiser/
- Follow us on Google News