A MAN who allegedly threatened a victim with a sawn-off shotgun during a carjacking near Maryborough has been denied bail.
Aaron Burzacott, 38, made the application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Thursday. He has been charged with offences including carjacking and armed robbery.
The court heard about 5.30pm on March 1, a man and woman were driving in a Toyota Hilux along Baringhup Road in Carisbrook.
Read other court news:
Mr Burzacott's co-accused was standing on the side of the road next to a silver Holden wagon. The co-accused waved down the victim while Burzacott stayed in the car.
The man pulled over behind the wagon on the direction of his female passenger.
Police alleged Mr Burzacott's co-accused took the man's keys out of the ignition, preventing him from leaving.
Mr Burzacott then allegedly got out of the wagon and directed a sawn-off shotgun at the victim.
The court heard the man panicked and tried to run away, but Mr Burzacott allegedly chased after him and threatened to shoot him if he kept running.
The victim walked back to the car and Mr Burzacott allegedly told the man he would kill him if he grabbed his mobile out of his pocket.
The court heard the man told Mr Burzacott the phone was in the car. The co-accused grabbed the phone from the vehicle and ordered the victim to unlock the device and transfer him money from his bank account.
Mr Burzacott allegedly stood behind the victim with the shotgun while the man showed the co-accused that he had no money in his account. Mr Burzacott allegedly demanded the victim show him his driver's licence.
Read other news:
Police alleged the men threatened to throw the victim into the boot of the car and drive four hours away so he couldn't tell anyone what happened.
The court heard the victim panicked and ran away from the group and into an open paddock.
Mr Burzacott and the co-accused allegedly drove off in the Holden wagon and the stolen Toyota Hilux.
Victoria Police's special operations group arrested Mr Burzacott on Wednesday at an address in East Bendigo. He was charged and remanded in custody.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Karl Mannes told the court the sawn-off shotgun was still outstanding. Mr Burzacott is prohibited from owning a firearm.
Leading Senior Constable Mannes said Mr Burzacott should not be released on bail because there was a risk he would reoffend in a "serious and violent way".
The prosecutor said police were concerned Mr Burzacott would contact or threaten the victim or other witnesses.
Leading Senior Constable Mannes told the court Mr Burzacott had a significant criminal history and the risks outweighed any mitigating factors.
Read more court: Man receives lengthy jail term for violent stabbing in Echuca
Defence lawyer Nelson Brown told the court the allegations were serious but the prosecution's case was flawed.
Mr Brown said police were only relying on the statement of the complainant without any additional evidence.
The defence lawyer said it had been more than a week since the alleged offending and there was no evidence Mr Burzacott contacted the victim in that time.
Mr Brown said stringent bail conditions could alleviate any risk to the community or victim.
But Magistrate Megan Aumair said she was not satisfied Mr Burzacott should be released on bail.
Ms Aumair said his criminal history was "extensive" and the alleged crimes were "some of the most serious offences".
"I need to take the prosecution's case at its highest and at its highest, it's extremely serious," the magistrate said.
Ms Aumair said there was an unacceptable risk Mr Burzacott would commit offences while on bail, interfere with witnesses, or endanger the public.
Mr Burzacott was remanded in custody. He is due to return to the Bendigo Magistrates' Court in June.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:
- Bookmark bendigoadvertiser.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter @BgoAddy
- Follow us on Instagram @bendigoadvertiser
- Follow us on Google News