A TEEN who allegedly broke into several Bendigo homes to steal bank cards and cars during a 12-hour crime spree has been released on bail.
The 14-year-old appeared in court on Monday after he was charged with offences including eight counts of aggravated burglary.
The teen's co-accused, a 15-year-old boy, also appeared in court but did not apply for bail. He was remanded in custody.
Read more court news:
The court heard in the early hours of Sunday morning, the 14-year-old and co-accused allegedly broke into a property in Huntly.
Police alleged they stole keys to a Holden Commodore and a Holden Equinox from a pantry.
The court heard the victims woke to the sound of their cars leaving the property. The victim's wallet was in one of the vehicles.
The boys also allegedly broke into an Epsom property, stealing a handbag and the keys to a black BMW.
Police alleged a stolen bank card from the victim was used at a McDonald's in California Gully about 5.05am that morning.
The black BMW was also found burnt out at the Epsom Primary School about 6am.
The court heard the 14-year-old boy allegedly drove the stolen Holden Equinox to a Maiden Gully address about half an hour later.
Police alleged he broke into a Ford Ranger parked in the driveway before entering the house and stealing clothing valued at $700.
The alleged offenders also stole a $300 mountain bike from the property and placed the bike in the back of the Holden Equinox.
Read more news: Man pleads guilty to assaulting wife and child while intoxicated
The 14-year-old then allegedly broke into an Ironbark property just after 8am. He stole an Apple laptop and wallet, the court was told.
Sometime before 8.30am that day, the boys also allegedly broke into a Maiden Gully address where they stole a wallet, gold watch, and remote car key.
Police alleged the boys broke into a North Bendigo address about 9.30am and entered a BMW, but did not take any items.
The victim confronted the boy but he allegedly jumped into one of the stolen cars and drove off.
The boy allegedly broke into a Strathfieldsaye address about 10.35am and stole a wallet and the keys to a Mazda CX-5.
Police alleged one of the stolen bank cards was used at a KFC a short time later.
The boy was arrested after he allegedly attempted to flee on foot. He was taken into custody for questioning.
The police air wing found the boy's co-accused, the court was told, with one of the stolen vehicles at a service station just before 1pm.
Read other news: Bendigo coronavirus vaccine hub opens on Stewart Street
The 15-year-old was arrested and his phone was seized. It allegedly showed photos of the boys committing the offences.
The boy's defence lawyer said the 14-year-old had been deemed suitable for a youth justice plan. She said her client also had the support of his parents and siblings.
The magistrate granted the boy bail, on the condition he follow the youth justice plan.
The magistrate said the boy should see this moment as a "turning point" after the "incredibly disappointing" offending.
The 14-year-old is due to return to court later this month.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark bendigoadvertiser.com.au/
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/BgoAddy
- Follow us on Instagram instagram.com/bendigoadvertiser/
- Follow us on Google News