A MAN has been denied bail after he allegedly used a dating app to contravene a family violence intervention order.
The 38-year-old man appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Tuesday after he was charged with persistently breaching the order.
The court heard the man had been in a relationship with the woman for several years, with the couple having three children together.
Read other court news:
There was an intervention order in place, with the woman listed as the protected person.
The court heard on February 5 this year, the man found out the woman was staying with a friend about 500 metres away from his address.
The man allegedly filmed himself walking towards the property, saying "I'm coming c***", and sent the video to the woman.
Police alleged the man then stopped outside the house where the woman was, staying on the opposite footpath about 20 metres away from the victim.
He allegedly yelled at her for about five minutes before leaving.
The court heard the man then allegedly sent several messages to the woman before police arrived at his home and arrested him.
The man was charged and bailed to appear in court on February 12.
His phone was seized and police allegedly found more than 100 calls and text messages to the woman between January 12 and February 2.
The court heard the woman blocked the man from contacting her via mobile phone or social media.
Read other news:
But on February 13 this year, the man allegedly used a dating app to contact the woman.
Police alleged the man sent her 52 messages that day, saying she needed to cancel the intervention order and that he "would go to jail if he could talk to (her)".
The court heard the man allegedly continued to contact his ex-partner through the dating app for the next two days, sending a number of messages.
The police prosecutor told the court the man should not be granted bail because there was a high risk he would reoffend, given he allegedly breached the intervention order within days of being released on bail.
The prosecutor said the victim was living in fear and police were concerned the man would threaten or confront her if he was released from custody.
But defence lawyer Luke Docherty said the man was arrested on Monday, several days after the alleged offending and after spending the weekend with his children.
Mr Docherty said it was unclear why there was that delay and that the breaches were at the lower end of the scale.
But Magistrate Patrick Southey refused the bail application, saying the man could go to jail for the alleged offending if the charges were proven.
The man was remanded in custody and is due to return to court next month.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.