A MAN who threatened to kill his former partner after she broke up with him has been jailed for three months.
The 24-year-old man appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court last week where he pleaded guilty to charges including breaching a family violence intervention order and making threats to kill.
The court heard in late 2019, the man sent the woman dozens of abusive messages and calls each day after she broke up with him.
Read other news:
On April 2 last year, the man transferred one cent to the woman's bank account with an abusive message.
Between April and June of that year, he contravened a family violence intervention order by contacting the woman 81 times. He also monitored her location using the social media application Snapchat.
The court heard on June 5, the man saw the woman driving on the Calder Freeway and drove up behind her, holding down on the horn.
He then called her 19 times, leaving messages threatening to kill her, and sent several emails telling her to "watch her back".
The woman contacted police and the man was arrested on June 6. He was released on bail.
A final family violence intervention order was issued on June 12, with the woman as the protected person.
The court heard on August 11, witnesses saw the man driving past the woman's home.
The woman called the man's mother, asking her to stop her son from contacting her.
Read other court news:
The man then called the victim's mother, leaving abusive voice and text messages calling her a "mutt".
Police located and arrested the man on August 23. The court heard he was aggressive with police, spitting and kicking at the police van.
On January 26 this year, police saw the man walking in the St Kilda area. He was stopped and searched.
Officers found an ice pipe, two small ziplock bags filled with a crystal substance, ammunition, and cannabis.
The man was arrested and taken to the St Kilda Police Station.
Defence lawyer Luke Docherty said his client had been battling a severe drug addiction and was at the peak of his drug use during his offending.
Mr Docherty said the man had spent 42 days in pre-sentence detention, with most of that time in the COVID-19 lockdown.
Magistrate Rodney Higgins convicted and sentenced the man to three months in jail, with 42 days reckoned as already served.
The man was ordered to complete a two-year community corrections order when released. The order would include a men's behaviour change program and drug rehabilitation.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.