There was an excited energy among musicians as the Bendigo Chamber Music Festival prepares to launch at The Capital tonight.
In it's second year, festival co-director Howard Penny said the festival is the first live performance in 12 months for some musicians.
"This is my first time playing chamber music in front of a live audience since the event last year. I have been crossing off the days on my calendar for long time," he said.
"We started rehearsing last Saturday with Brisbane and Sydney artists and even after that first day, some said 'if it's stopped now, it's still wonderful because we were playing together'.
"(The festival) will be performing at six venues and we're excited to get the whole city involved."
The festival has COVID-safe practices in place include a 50 per cent audience capacity for each performance.
"It's going to be part of our future for a while, it's the new normal," Mr Penny said. "We have those COVID protocols in place but also the Melbourne Digital Concert Hall is streaming all The Capital's programs live."
The Bendigo Chamber Music Festival runs until February 8. For the full program visit www.bendigochambermusicfestival.com.au