A man charged with a slew of driving, drug and bail offences will remain in custody for the time being, with a magistrate determining the man poses an unacceptable risk of offending if released on bail.
Brendan James Avis, 29, made his unsuccessful application in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Friday.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Karl Mannes said Mr Avis posed an unacceptable risk of offending, failing to appear while on bail, and endangering the safety and welfare of the public.
More court news: Accused erratic driver hit with over 30 charges
The court heard Mr Avis had been charged with numerous drug-driving offences since July, as well as other driving offences that included using an unregistered vehicle, failing to stop on direction, reckless conduct, and dangerous driving.
On the night of August 21 last year, the court was told, Mr Avis was allegedly seen driving at a speed of 116 km/h in a 60 km/h in Rochester, crossed onto the wrong side of the road, turned the headlights of the vehicle off, and failed to pull over even after police activated their lights.
Leading Senior Constable Mannes said Mr Avis' fingerprints were later found on the vehicle, although he told police he was home that night.
Mr Avis was also charged with trafficking methamphetamine after he was allegedly found with $890 in cash and 0.85 grams of a substance believed to be methamphetamine when police pulled over a vehicle in Kyabram in July.
It was alleged his phone held communications between him and others regarding the price of drugs.
More court news: Alleged hotel burglar granted bail over health concerns
In October, Mr Avis was also allegedly found with methamphetamine after a vehicle in which he was a passenger was stopped in Echuca.
He is also accused of stealing a vehicle, with police alleging he ran from a stolen vehicle found at an address in Rochester.
The court heard CCTV from a petrol station showed him filling jerry cans that were found next to the stolen vehicle.
Mr Avis has also been charged with numerous bail offences.
His mother gave evidence to the court that he could live with her and she would report any bail breaches to police.
She told the court that while Mr Avis' alleged offending had occurred while living at her address, she had not previously been directed to contact police about any breaches.
Defence lawyer Rebecca Heley said the support of Mr Avis' mother, and her willingness to go to police if he stepped out of line, contributed to the exceptional circumstances he had to meet to secure bail.
More court news: Man arrested after alleged aggravated burglary with firearm
Ms Heley said Mr Avis he was in need of drug and alcohol treatment, grief counselling, and gambling counselling, and he had the court integrated services program available to him.
"The long-term benefit to the community is really in Mr Avis addressing what I submit are the underlying causes of the offending," she said.
She said delay was also a factor.
However, magistrate Russell Kelly said exceptional circumstances had not been demonstrated, and even if they had, Mr Avis posed "the worst risk" he had ever seen of committing offences and failing to comply with his bail.
Mr Kelly said delay was not a relevant factor, as Mr Avis was looking at a substantial jail term on the drug trafficking charge alone if found guilty.
Mr Avis was remanded in custody to appear at the Bendigo Magistrates' Court again in March.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.