A MAN who allegedly strangled a woman until she lost consciousness has been denied bail.
The man appeared in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.
Charge sheets obtained by the Bendigo Advertiser said on October 31 this year, the man without lawful excuse recklessly applied force to the woman's throat, causing her to lose consciousness.
Read other court:
The woman in the alleged incident was a protected person in a family violence intervention order.
The man was also charged with 10 counts of contravening a family violence intervention order, two counts of intentionally causing injury, two counts of recklessly causing serious injury, and three counts of unlawful assault.
The man's defence lawyer told the court his client should be released on bail because he had already spent one month in custody and had never previously breached any bail conditions.
The lawyer said the man was eligible for support under the Court Integrated Services Program and had a suitable address to live at while on bail.
The defence lawyer also said the man would be contesting the charges as the current medical evidence did not support the victim's account of the alleged incident.
But the police prosecutor said there were "very serious concerns for the safety of the victim" if the man was released on bail.
The prosecutor also said police were concerned about people the man would be associating with if released.
Magistrate Megan Aumair said the allegations were "extremely serious" and it was possible that the man would spend longer than a month in custody.
She said the man's criminal history was not extensive but still concerning.
Ms Aumair said she was not satisfied the man showed compelling reasons to be released.
The man was denied bail and remanded him in custody. He is due to return to court later this month.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.