The state government has committed $16 million to a health-based approach to public drunkenness, instead of the criminal response it has pledged to abolish.
The funding comes as part of the government's 2020-21 budget which was handed down on Tuesday.
The government announced it would remove the offence of public drunkenness in August last year, on the eve of the inquest into the death of Yorta Yorta woman Tanya Day.
State budget 2020-21:
- Shock budget win final piece of the jigsaw for Bendigo school
- Castlemaine Goods Shed gets state budget boost
- $12 million for former Kyneton school works welcomed
- $10 million boost for upgrade to Bendigo Senior Secondary among central Victoria budget wins
- 'Need for change': VCAL to be scrapped, replaced with single VCE program
- Budget looks to reshape state with plans to create 400,000 jobs in five years
- Budget pours $8 billion into regional Victoria
Ms Day died after hitting her head on the cell wall at the Castlemaine police station in December 2017, having been arrested for public drunkenness
In 2018, before the inquest began, coroner Caitlin English said she planned to recommend that the offence be abolished.
In its budget papers, the government says the funding will include the expansion of Aboriginal community controlled services, "providing a culturally safe service delivery response to both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people"..