A man started committing crimes again less than two weeks after he was sentenced for a spate of similar offences, a Bendigo court has heard.
Zane East was sentenced in the Bendigo Magistrates' Court in September to 177 days' imprisonment - time he had already served at that point - and an 18-month community corrections order after pleading guilty to 24 charges that included multiple counts of theft, dangerous driving while pursued by police, and recklessly exposing an emergency worker to risk while driving.
The 24-year-old was back before the court on Tuesday, appearing via video link from the Melbourne Assessment Prison, after committing some similar offences.
This time, East pleaded guilty to recklessly exposing an emergency worker to risk by driving, two charges of dangerous driving while pursued by police, reckless conduct endangering serious injury, theft, three charges of driving while disqualified, and two charges of using an unregistered vehicle.
More court news: Scissors used in fast food hold-up
Between October 10 and 11, East stole a 2003 Mazda ute from a California Gully address.
He was seen inside the vehicle doing a burnout in Derwent Drive, Long Gully in the early afternoon of October 11.
On October 30, officers in Kyabram tried to pull East over when he was seen driving a Subaru station wagon with a smashed rear window.
But while they activated their lights and sirens, East sped up and was clocked at a speed of 117 km/h in a 60 km/h zone in Allan Street.
He also turned a corner in front of oncoming vehicles.
The following day, police saw East in the same vehicle and again, he sped away when police tried to stop him.
Police ended their pursuit, at which point East performed a u-turn and drove at a fast speed towards the police vehicle on the wrong side of the road, swerving away at the last moment.
More court news: Man jailed after running over former partner, breaking into home
"I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see you'd behaved in this way," magistrate Megan Aumair told East on Tuesday.
Ms Aumair - who sentenced East on the last occasion - said she felt he had missed an opportunity that few others were given.
East told the court that something had made him feel he was going to fail anyway.
"A self-fulfilling prophecy, unfortunately," his defence lawyer Luke Docherty said.
Ms Aumair told East he was close to spending "a lot of time in jail" unless he made some different choices in life.
She sentenced him to 15 months' imprisonment with a non-parole period of nine months, of which he had already served four days.
But for East's guilty plea, he would have faced at least 18 months in prison, and up to 30 months.
Mr Docherty had submitted East was still young, had some intellectual impairments, and had shown he still had some prospects of rehabilitation when he completed 78 days at a drug treatment facility.
He said his client needed support, so imprisonment with a parole period was well within range.
East was also banned from driving for four years.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.