A MAN who assaulted his mother and step-father until they lost consciousness has pleaded guilty in the County Court.
The 22-year-old on Wednesday admitted to two charges of intentionally causing serious injury, one count of criminal damage, and another charge of contravening a family violence order.
The court heard on a night in July last year, the man was seen yelling outside of a central Victorian address.
He left when the resident of the home started calling 000 but returned a number of times.
Read more court:
Later that evening, a resident at another property on the same street heard the man yelling.
The witness saw the man attempt to break into an unattended home. He broke open a window, cutting his hand, but was unable to enter the house.
The court heard some time later that evening, the man went to his mother's home, banging on the front door and yelling.
There was a family violence intervention order in place preventing the man from being in contact with his mother and step-father.
The step-father saw the man at the door with a bleeding hand. The man told his step-father he had been stabbed.
The mother brought her son inside, washed his hand, and wrapped a tea towel around it.
The step-father called 000 for an ambulance and while on the phone, he saw the man attempt to take some alcohol from the fridge.
The step-father told the man to leave it alone, and the man became aggressive, rushing at his step-father and punching him.
The mother rushed to her partner while the 000 call was still connected.
The man then turned to his mother and started punching her in the face, causing her to slump against the fridge.
The court heard the attack continued for some time and both victims lost consciousness.
Some time later, two acquaintances went to the home and saw the front door open.
The court heard they saw the man yelling near the kitchen bench and the step-father was on the ground covered in blood.
The court heard the man was swearing and yelling at his unresponsive step-father, saying he would kill him.
The witnesses saw the man grab some knives but he slipped on blood and the knives scattered.
The witnesses entered the home and saw the mother unconscious and covered in blood. Her top was pulled up, leaving her topless.
The witnesses called for paramedics and the man became aggressive towards them. He left before emergency services arrived at the scene.
The court heard the step-father was taken to hospital with a range of injuries, including rib fractures, spinal fractures, and bruising to his face and abdomen. He needed surgery for some of his injuries.
The mother was also hospitalised for multiple cuts, bruises, and a fractured ankle.
The court heard the man was arrested the next morning after he returned to his mother's home covered in a sheet and acting erratically.
He was later interviewed but did not answer most of the police officers' questions.
Victim impact statements from the mother and step-father were submitted to the court.
Read other news:
The step-father said he had flashbacks of the incident, and that he was anxious and paranoid when he heard someone at the door.
The step-father said he had also become more antisocial as a result of the incident, and he was still experiencing pain from his injuries.
The mother told the court in her statement that she still loved her son but she hated him for what he did to her.
She said her anxiety and depression had become worse since the incident, and that she didn't know if she ever wanted her son back in her life.
Defence counsel Marcus Dempsey told the court the incident was a "serious example of serious offending", that not only had a "grave physical impact" on the victims but also caused a "seismic disruption in the family".
Mr Dempsey said a psychological report tendered to the court showed his client had a history of ADHD and anger management issues.
The defence lawyer said the report also noted the man could be diagnosed with an intellectual disability and borderline personality disorder.
Mr Dempsey said his client had experienced childhood trauma and used alcohol as a way to deal with that trauma.
The defence counsel said his client understood and accepted that a lengthy term of imprisonment would be an appropriate sentence.
Mr Dempsey also noted the man submitted a guilty plea at an early opportunity, saving the victims from giving evidence in a criminal trial.
Judge Trevor Wraight said the guilty plea was significant.
The 22-year-old man will be sentenced in the County Court next week.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.