UPDATED, 4.40pm: The Bendigo Amateur Soccer League junior matches scheduled for this weekend won't be played.
In a statement to its members, the Bendigo Amateur Soccer League said it has postponed all games and training programs for the next seven days.
"As you may all now be aware with the recent announcement of COVID-19 cases in a select few local schools, BASL had previously advised member clubs to suspend all training until further notice,'' the statement said.
"This measure was taken to ensure more time to gather information, make informed decisions and most importantly, preserve the health and safety of all our clubs, players and members.
"Based on today's press conference from (Premier) Daniel Andrews, local school closures, and the escalating presence of COVID-19 within our communities, we have had no choice but to act as an association in the best interest of our members.
"Therefore the Bendigo Amateur Soccer League has chosen to postpone all BASL fixtures, training and programs for the next 7 days or until further notice. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time."
10am: The Bendigo Amateur Soccer League will wait on advice from health authorities and Football Victoria before making a decision on this weekend's matches.
BASL suspended club training until further notice after the closures of three schools in the Bendigo region on Thursday because of COVID-19 cases.
Hundreds of children from across the region in age groups from under-6 through to under-18 are scheduled to play in matches on Saturday in Bendigo, Castlemaine and Kyneton.
BASL president Aaron Shooter said direction from the Department of Health and Human Services and Football Victoria would be critical to the league's plans for the weekend.
"We're evaluating what the school closures mean to the code,'' Shooter said on Thursday morning.
"Our first response is to try to avoid any further spread in the football community until we understand the severity of it all.
"We'll make a call on the weekend games over the next couple of days.
"We'll wait for feedback from FV and the DHHS and then make a decision from there.
"I'd love to be able to put games on this weekend, but if there's any risk to the community then it doesn't make any sense.
"More than likely we won't make a decision until tomorrow. If we get a firm ruling today we'll make a call as soon as possible.
"Lunch time tomorrow (Friday) is probably the latest we'd leave a decision, so that everyone can plan for the weekend."
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.