All Victorians will be required to wear a face covering when they leave home from Sunday night as Premier Daniel Andrews announced a record 723 new COVID-19 cases and 13 deaths on Thursday.
Victoria has 9998 total COVID-19 cases, with 5385 of those active.
"From 11.59pm on Sunday, every single person in regional Victoria when out of their home will need to wear a mask or face covering," Mr Andrews said.
"It is inconvenient and challenging, but it is something we can do in regional Victoria without causing significant economic cost, while getting a significant public health benefit."
There are 11 active COVID-19 cases in Greater Bendigo, with the Chief Health Officer's next update due on Thursday afternoon.
In the past 24 hours, Bendigo primary and secondary schools have announced closures after positive COVID-19 cases were recorded.
- New coronavirus case linked to Girton Grammar student, school will remain open
- V/Line COVID-19 case confirmed in staff member
- Bendigo, Heathcote schools to close due to coronavirus cases
- Explainer: When will Victorian lockdown lead to decline in coronavirus case numbers?
- Bendigo's Mercy Health Bethlehem Home for the Aged records no further positive coronavirus tests
- Don KR Castlemaine coronavirus cluster increases to 10 people
- The Informer: Clusters, Karens and all sorts of COVID connotations
- Bendigo Basketball suspends matches and training due to COVID-19 cases
There are 312 Victorians in hospital receiving treatment for COVID-19, with 34 people in intensive care.
The Premier said there are 913 active cases linked to the state's aged care sector.
On Wednesday afternoon, a staff member at Kangaroo Flat's Royal Freemasons aged care home tested positive to COVID-19.
The staff member had not worked on site since Thursday, July 23.
The Chief Health Officer's update of COVID-19 cases by local government area is expected on Thursday afternoon.
More to come
We have removed our paywall from this storyabout thecoronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists, subscribe here.