A PRODUCTION shift and zone have been closed at Don KR Castlemaine after a worker tested positive to COVID-19.
A social contact has also tested positive, the Department of Health and Human Services has confirmed.
The department said it was working with Don KR Castlemaine around a closure plan, which would be in effect from Friday.
It was also working with local health services to ensure all Don KR Castlemaine workers were tested.
Testing would take place at Bendigo Health and Maryborough District Health sites.
Other worker testing sites are being arranged.
"DHHS is actively working with the facility to ensure appropriate cleaning and contact tracing is undertaken," a department spokesperson said.
Anyone with symptoms is urged to get tested and self-isolate.
DON Smallgoods said it was taking all necessary steps to protect its workers.
"The health and safety of DON Smallgoods staff is our priority," the organisation said in a statement.
It said its employee was under the supervision of healthcare professionals.
"We are keeping in touch for regular updates on their condition and doing all we can to support them during this time," the DON Smallgoods statement said.
"We are hoping for their full recovery soon."
The case was the first among DON Smallgoods staff to date, according to the company.
DON Smallgoods was also aware an ex-employee, who last worked for the company in December - had also tested positive for COVID-19.
The company said its employee's close contacts and contacts of contacts had been identified.
"In line with government advice, any employees showing cold or flu-like symptoms; have been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case; or have returned from overseas in the past 14 days, are not allowed to enter our sites," DON Smallgoods said.
"We are instructing them to seek medical advice and follow all government guidelines."
Story continues after graph
It comes as Victoria contends with 3630 active cases of the virus.
More than 200 people are in hospital. Forty people are in intensive care.
Ten of the active cases in Thursday's data were attributed to central Victoria.
The Macedon Ranges Shire has five active cases. Greater Bendigo has four, and Loddon has one.
Almost 3300 people in Victoria have recovered from COVID-19.
More than 1.4 million tests have been processed, confirming 7125 cases of the virus.
It follows a record 484 new cases on Wednesday.
Story continues after graph
DON Smallgoods said it implemented "functional plans to minimise the risk of spreading the virus among staff" following the pandemic's announcement.
"Some immediate steps taken at our Castlemaine facility include changes to closed door policies, reduced physical meetings, increased our sanitation and cleaning regimes, and banned external visitors," it said.
"We have also implemented workforce zoning to reduce movement and interaction across the factory while practicing social distancing, installed screens surrounding particular workstations where contact is a higher risk, and also introduced thermo-imaging equipment where all people who arrive onsite must pass a health scan by a registered nurse for entry."
The company said it was monitoring and adhering to government advice regarding best practice for safeguarding staff.
"As part of this, we are keeping in close contact with the Department of Health and Human Services Victoria and local authorities to proactively review and update our protocols as appropriate," its statement said.
"These are unprecedented times and we ask that every person looks out for one another and our communities."
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.