Star Cinema threw open its doors this week after being closed for three months.
With sessions only able to host a maximum of 20 people - or 10 per cent of the cinema's capacity - tickets have sold out quickly.
On June 30, cinemas were set to host a maximum of 50 people per session before an increase of coronavirus cases in Victoria halted the easing of restrictions.
Business manager Martin Myles said the cinema decided to forge ahead anyway.
"It did throw a spanner in works but we decided to run with it even though we're certain to make a loss," he said. "We had done so much work that to pull the pin would be a PR disaster.
"Every cinema that announced it was opening, that I'm aware of, has proceeded. We stand to make less of a loss than other commercial cinemas but have done great things under not the greatest of circumstances."
Mr Myles said the first two sessions had sold out quickly and that there had been a steady flow of inquiries.
"We did sell out our first two sessions but it is not difficult to do," he said "Our average attendance before closing was in the high 30s. So that is half of what we expect to take.
"I have noticed a trend of people booking multiple sessions (when calling). To support us but also to avoid disappointment."
For people that do decide to return to the cinemas, not much will change. Patrons will be asked to sanitise their hands, provide their first name and phone number, social distance and use card-only transactions.
"We've done a lot of work in preparing and covering all bases," Mr Myles said. "Couches are spaced according to physical distancing and other than those other details, it's pretty much the same.
"We are finding a small benefit to hosting 20 people is that it allows staff and volunteers to get use to the new situation. We have had great success and feedback that people are comfortable and it is heartening to get that."
For more visit starcinema.org.au or phone 5446 2025.