THE Bendigo Football-Netball League remains committed to its stance that it won't be influenced by the decisions of other leagues when it comes to making a call on its 2020 season.
Since Thursday a spate of country football-netball leagues have abandoned their seasons, including the Goulburn Valley, Ovens & Murray, Ballarat, Mornington Peninsula, Gippsland and Maryborough-Castlemaine District leagues.
The spate of recent cancellations leaves just Bendigo and Outer East, which is pushing ahead in a modified format, as the only leagues ranked in the top 17 after last year's AFL Victoria Community Championships that haven't ruled a line through season 2020.
"We've said all along that what happens with other leagues and the decisions they make won't have an impact on us and that we'll make our decision based on what's best for us," BFNL manager Cameron Tomlins said on Monday.
"Our timeline hasn't changed from last week. Our clubs have had our survey in their hands since last Thursday and we've given them time to meet as a committee and have a chance to digest the AFL Victoria protocols.
"We hope to get some sort of indication on Tuesday morning of where the clubs are at. We'll then collate the results of the surveys and have that information ready for our next league meeting on Wednesday night."
Asked if his expectation on Wednesday night was for a definite decision to be made on the season being called off or it's going to be played, Tomlins answered: "I would expect we're going to come to some sort of a decision by Wednesday night.
"What that is, time will tell. I haven't got a clear indication yet because we still haven't had the club surveys come back.
"Our aim from early on has been to make decisions based on really clear evidence and clarity and given there's still a bit of that lacking it maybe a case in that the ultimate decision comes down to we don't have all the clarity we need and we've run out of time."
AFL Victoria released its Return-To-Play Protocols last Thursday, which showed what a day at the football-netball would look like:
* spectators to be confined to groups of 10 adhering to 1.5m social distancing spread around the ground;
* where venues allow it, spectators to remain in their vehicle with family members only;
* no spectators on the ground during breaks or after the match;
* changerooms limited to only players and essential staff and only up to 20 allowed in an indoor space; and
* no social gatherings and mingling after games.
While the protocols state spectators can be in groups of 10, there is still no confirmation of what the capped figure of crowds that will be permitted to attend.
"That's a significant factor and right from day one of this crowds for community sport have been a major talking point," Tomlins said.
"It's only one piece, but it's a significant factor. We're about to tick over into July, so we're conscious this has stretched on longer than anyone would have wanted it to.
"We want to give ourselves the best opportunity to come back this year, but we know it's hard to stay motivated with this stretching on."
SIGN UP FOR BEST ON GROUND, THE AFL NEWSLETTER YOU CAN'T MISS: Straight into your mailbox every Thursday before the first bounce
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Bendigo Advertiser, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thankyou very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Bendigo's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.