Bendigo Stadium's first major sporting event since the COVID-19 lockdown could be a major boxing fight night involving Michael Zerafa.
Zerafa, who defeated former world champion Jeff Horn at Bendigo Stadium last year, stated on Australian Boxing Central's Facebook page that his next fight would be in Bendigo on November 14.
However, Bendigo Stadium Limited chief executive officer Nathan O'Neill said it was too early to lock in dates for events at the venue.
"Like all businesses, the current COVID-19 situation has provided significant challenges to the Bendigo Stadium over the past three months,'' O'Neill said.
"Team Events are working tirelessly during this time to not only renegotiate new dates for events that were scheduled from March onwards, but to also lure new events for when restrictions are lifted.
"Key major events are currently in negotiation. We certainly will look to play our role to reinvigorate the local economy. The discussions our team are having with several promoters will be exciting for Bendigo.
"If an opportunity presents to host another boxing event at the Bendigo Stadium again, we welcome those discussions.
"We will wait and see if and when the restrictions are lifted over the coming months. Fingers are crossed we all do the right thing to get through this sooner rather than later."
Zerafa's opponent could be Anthony Mundine.
Zerafa, the number one ranked middleweight in Australia and seventh-ranked middleweight in the world, said his first choice was to fight a highly-ranked overseas opponent.
"I'm wrapped to be a part of it. Bendigo have looked after me since day one, so I'm looking forward to it,'' Zerafa told Australian Boxing Central.
"The people down there are grouse, they get behind me, they show their love and support, so I'm wrapped to be a Bendigo boy.
"We're chasing big fights that's why we train so hard and dedicate our life to it.
"We want overseas opponents. There's been talk of overseas opponents - Americans and Englishmen. We stay hungry, obviously this coronavirus has (delayed) everything, but once we get the green light we'll jump back in and make some statements."
While he'd prefer to fight a higher-rated opponent, Zerafa said it would be a "legacy fight" for him if he was given the opportunity to take on Mundine.
"We want international opponents and world-class names,'' Zerafa said.
"Obviously, Mundine is a world-class name, but he's getting old, he's getting on.
"If it's meant to be it will be, I'll leave it to my team. That's a legacy fight for me and one that I've always wanted since I was a little kid. If I get that fight and win it will be a dream come true.
"I'm just focusing on getting better in the gym, getting stronger and I leave my team to do the rest."
In an interview in April, Mundine said he would love to take on Zerafa in a farewell to Australian boxing.
Mundine, 44, is 16 years older than Zerafa and he has lost six of his past 10 bouts.
"They want me to fight that Zerafa, so I'll keep working. They're keen," Mundine told the Canberra Times in April.
"I've been thinking about it and I've got the drive to go and do it, you know what I mean? My main goal is to go out a winner, I want to go out a winner and get one last victory, it would be great.
Mundine has a 48-10 career record, while Zerafa sits at 27-4.
A press conference to announce the final details for the fight has been set for August 26.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.