The fate of the 2020 BFNL season remains in doubt.
The BFNL board and representatives of the 10 clubs met on Wednesday night to discuss the 2020 season.
BFNL manager Cameron Tomlins said the board and clubs welcomed the recent state government announcements on contact training and a return date for competition, but more information was required before all parties could commit to a revamped 2020 season.
Crowds and health and safety regulations remain the biggest concerns for clubs.
"Once we have the information we need from the state government, AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria we will survey the clubs again on a raft of issues and questions to address what 2020 might look like if we proceed,'' Tomlins said.
"Since we surveyed the clubs last time things have changed quite a lot. We'll rely on clubs to feed us some information so we can make an educated decision.
SIGN UP FOR BEST ON GROUND, THE AFL NEWSLETTER YOU CAN'T MISS: Straight into your mailbox every Thursday before the first bounce
"In terms of crowds we think that 500 is a really good minimum number, excluding players, coaches, officials and necessary staff on the day.
"That's not a hard and fast rule of 500 or nothing, but we think it's a good starting point.
"Clubs also fed back to us that equally as important as crowds is the burden on volunteers to operate a matchday.
"That's the stuff we're really waiting for from the governing bodies to find out what logistics and responsibilities clubs will have to take on on matchday to ensure everything goes on safely.
"We still need crowds coming through the gates to make it viable, but at the end of the day it's a community sport and that was the strong sentiment from the clubs."
Read more: Catch up on all the latest local footy news
Tomlins said no final decision had been made on salary cap options for 2020.
He said the prospect of the league becoming amateur for 2020 had been floated, but no decision would be made until the return of club surveys.
"We have the target dates for contact training and return to competition, and those dates align relatively well with what we'd been planning,'' he said.
"There was a bit of concern from clubs around the lead-in time for players. Is two weeks of contact training enough considering the lay-off they've had?
"That will form part of the survey as well."
Tomlins said at this stage none of the 10 clubs indicated to the league on Wednesday night they wouldn't participate if the 2020 season goes ahead.
"There's a few clubs that are unsure about available numbers from a football and netball perspective,'' Tomlins said.
"We've had a long layoff now and as we re-launch we're not sure what sort of buy-in we're going to get from footballers and netballers.
"There's a lot of positivity around, but there are a lot of grades of football and netball to fill.
"Now that there is some light at the end of the tunnel... clubs can go to their playing groups and see who is in and who is in out.
"The clubs will be asked in the survey how many football and netball teams they expect to field and we'll take that on board.
"It's a tough one because players and members are changing their opinion by the week and even by the day.
"At this point we haven't had any clubs say they don't want to be part of it, but there are a number of clubs that need to know more before they can go ahead.
"We're cautiously optimistic, but at the same time realistic about the season going ahead."
The state government announced on Sunday as part of its next stage of the easing of coronavirus restrictions that full-contact training for senior sport can begin on July 13 and competition can start on July 20.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.