A FAMILY has avoided injury after a mantelpiece board caught fire in a Heathcote home.
Country Fire Authority crews were called to the blaze on Wright Street about 4.45pm on Tuesday.
A CFA spokesperson said a wood heater placed inside an old fireplace started the fire.
Read other news: Central Deborah Gold Mine to reopen after coronavirus restrictions
A family was home at the time but outside feeding their animals. A smoke alarm alerted them to the fire.
Five CFA crews put out the blaze within 15 minutes.
Firefighters examined the wall and roof of the home to ensure the fire had not spread.
The house was deemed safe.
FIVE CFA trucks have contained a house fire in Heathcote.
THE Country Fire Authority is responding to a house fire in Heathcote.
Crews were called to the blaze on Wright Street about 4.56pm on Tuesday.
There were reports the fire was in the roof of the building.
More to come.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.