TROTS meetings in Victoria have been suspended until at least Friday, as Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) continues to investigate reports of an industry participant, who attended a meeting in New South Wales last week, had been in contact with a person now confirmed to have tested positive for COVID-19.
The unnamed participant attended the Penrith meeting on March 19 and is awaiting his own test results
HRV moved swiftly to cancel Tuesday's Bendigo meeting at Lord's Raceway as a precautionary measure, but has now extended the ban to include all Victorian meetings on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
"We're investigating potential implications for Victorian personnel who may have subsequently had contact with at-risk individuals at the Bathurst meeting on Friday," HRV chief executive officer Dayle Brown said.
"This is an important precautionary step. We must continue to put the health and wellbeing of our participants above all else."
Meetings affected by the suspension are Wednesday night at Shepparton, Thursday's events at Tabcorp Park Melton and Ararat, Maryborough and Geelong on Friday.
Brown said HRV will advise of further updates in due course.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.