BENDIGO early educators are continuing to teach young children after the Victorian government chose to keep childcare and kindergarten services open.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews on Monday confirmed all primary and secondary schools would start term one holidays early because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
But childcare and kindergarten services will remain unchanged for the foreseeable future.
Jenny's Early Learning Centre managing director Darren Reid said the services would continue to follow the recommendations of the federal and state governments.
"We always endeavour to go above and beyond," he said. "We have introduced a variety of additional measures.
"We're ensuring everyone who enters and leaves the service washes their hands and sanitises. There is also increased cleaning and sanitising during the day and overnight.
"We've also increased health and hygiene education programs. Our children are even learning to sing Happy Birthday twice while washing their hands."
Mr Reid said Jenny's Early Learning Centre - which has sites at Epsom, Maiden Gully, Strathfieldsaye, Bendigo Hospital, and Heathcote - was also introducing social distancing.
"It's about making it meaningful for children," he said. "We're reflecting on how our education space is set up. We are encouraging both indoor and outdoor play."
Mr Reid said there had been a decline in attendance numbers.
"Our families have been tremendously supportive," he said. "They have been very supportive of staff. We have received very positive feedback on what we have implemented so far.
"But it is a fluid and changing situation. We don't know what school holidays will bring in relation to attendance."
Shine Bright, which operates 28 kindergartens across the central Victorian region, says its services would also remain open on government advice.
The City of Greater Bendigo operates two early learning centres in the region. The city's community wellbeing manager Andi West said there had been some decline in attendance numbers.
Ms West said the centres had introduced new measures to minimise the risk of coronavirus.
"All council operated childcare centres are implementing best practice hygiene procedures," she said.
"There is signage upon entering the centre and a sign in procedure that requires additional information disclosures, such as recent travel and if anyone in the family has been unwell.
Read more on coronavirus:
"There are also additional hand sanitising and washing opportunities throughout the day for children, families, and staff, and additional cleaning regimes have been put in place.
"Additionally, non-essential visitors such as tradespeople are not permitted unless essential maintenance is required."
Ms West said the city would continue to wait for the advice from the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Education and Training regarding any closures.
Mr Reid said he and the centres would continue to communicate directly with parents.
"We're mindful that it's such a fast moving and developing situation," he said. "Rest assured, we're well prepared for either the continuation of classes or potential closures."
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.