TWO central Victorians have tested positive to coronavirus in the space of 24 hours as the state reacts to a 40 per cent spike in confirmed cases.
Health authorities confirmed the latest case in the Macedon Ranges this afternoon
The weekend saw 118 Victorian coronavirus cases confirmed, driving the tally up to 296.
Victoria will shut down all non-essential activity across the state within 48 hours and school holidays will be brought forward to Tuesday.
The state government is yet to decide whether schools will reopen for term two and teachers are being given time to prepare for online learning.
People will still be able to go the the supermarket, banks, pharmacy and other essential stores, like petrol stations and convenience stores, premier Daniel Andrews said.
"Freight, logisitics and home delivery are also considered essential and will remain open," he said.
Bendigo tourists have been dropping everything to get back to Australia before more international borders closed
James Lerk was on a tour of Egypt three days ago when he learned the nation was about to shut its borders.
He and a friend cut the tour and managed to find a flight home.
"Now we are back in Bendigo, in quarantine, fortunately not in other remote locations," Mr Lerk said.
"I do think that when we were on board the aircraft many people were still very casual about it.
"If we are not careful the situations that has developed in Italy and elsewhere may even arise here."
A second case of coronavirus has been confirmed in the Macedon Ranges.
It follows central Victoria's first positive test during the pandemic yesterday.
The newest case bring the state's tally to 296, with 42 men and 24 women among those added to the list on Sunday.
A number of cases remain under investigation, Victoria's chief health officer Brett Sutton has confirmed.
Six people are currently recovering in hospital and 70 have recovered.
More than 22,900 Victorians have been tested so far.
For the virus to spread, extended close personal contact is most likely required.
Close personal contact is at least 15 minutes face-to-face or more than two hours in the same room.
Extensive testing has shown that people who have passed through places where there was a confirmed case, known as casual contacts, have an extremely low risk of transmission and are not currently recommended for testing, professor Sutton said.
"This will help to ensure hospitals, assessment centres and general practitioners can prioritise testing for those most at risk," he said.
DHHS has a hotline for public information on COVID-19 which is 1800 675 398.
Further information is also available at https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.