The grass fire has been contained.
The fire was originally noted by a Mt Tarrengower watch tower just after 5pm.
Crews will remain on scene mopping up and watching hotspots.
Firefighters are battling a grass fire south-west of Maryborough.
The fire at Moschetti Track, near Amherst, is not yet under control.
The Country Fire Authority has issued advice for the communities of Amherst and Lillicur.
"There is currently no threat to you, but you should stay informed and monitor conditions," the advice message says.
Smoke will be visible from nearby communities.
The CFA has asked that people keep the roads clear so emergency services can respond.
"If you do not have a plan, decide what you will do if the situation changes," the advice message says.
- If you need medical advice for burns or exposure to smoke, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
- Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
- Smoke can affect people's health.
- People with heart or lung conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
- People with existing heart or lung conditions (including asthma) should follow the treatment plan advised by the doctor.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.