A video of a mock beheading has been played in court as far-right criminal Blair Cottrell appeals his conviction for inciting hatred against Muslims in Bendigo.
Cottrell and two supporters beheaded the dummy outside Bendigo's council offices in October 2015 to protest a planned mosque, before being convicted of inciting hatred, contempt and ridicule of Muslims.
- Cottrell can't take appeal to Supreme Court, judge rules
- Far-right leader fails in High Court bid
- Blair Cottrell brought damage to Bendigo, MP says
- Far-right trio convicted, fined over vilification
- Court told mock beheading was not meant to stir up hate
- UPF leader in court over video stunt
- Mock beheading trio appear in court
Some of Cottrell's supporters laughed and clapped as the video of the beheading, and two others showing Cottrell speaking about his case, were played during a County Court of Victoria appeal against the conviction on Monday.
The disruptions prompted Chief Judge Peter Kidd to call for "quiet please" before warning Cottrell's supporters they risked facing contempt of court proceedings.
"I expect complete silence throughout the course of this case," he said.
If the behaviour continued, the judge warned: "firstly, you'll be removed from this court and, depending on what happens, I've got contempt powers".
Cottrell, Neil Erikson and Christopher Neil Shortis were convicted and fined in 2017 over the beheading video, involving a dummy made of pillows and red liquid squirting from its head.
One of the group wore an imitation of a Muslim head covering while one or more shouted "Allahu Akbar".
The video also showed the group chanting "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie" while carrying and driving around with flags.
Cottrell complained about being accused of neo-Nazism, "whatever that means", coverage of his court case, and also took aim at the government and media being "against the will of the working class".
He previously tried and failed to take his appeal to High Court before also being knocked back by the Supreme Court.
Cottrell's lawyer John Bolton plans to argue the case on constitutional grounds after it resumes in the County Court on Tuesday.
Australian Associated Press
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.