The costs associated with implementing security measures have led to changes to this year's Greater Bendigo Against Family Violence walk.
On Friday, people involved in the event were told heavy vehicle barriers would have been required to maintain a modified version of the walk route and Pall Mall could not be used because the requirements were too onerous.
Marshals were also reportedly needed to manage vehicles parked along the route that wanted to leave during the event.
It was said that the costs associated with these measures were not feasible.
City of Greater Bendigo resilient communities coordinator Frances Ford said the state government had provided guidelines on protecting the safety of people at public events.
The guidelines are not law, but the council says it is guided by Victoria Police recommendations when it comes to public safety.
"The City assesses public and community events on an individual basis and works closely with Victoria Police, VicRoads and contractors involved in managing any road closures and barriers during the event," Ms Ford said.
The walk, which was originally to commence in the library gardens, will now begin in Sidney Myer Place on November 27, go through Rosalind Park and along the Pall Mall footpath.
In recent years, walks have taken place along the streets of the CBD.
Ms Ford said that while there would still be some traffic management costs associated with the event, the changes kept these costs to a minimum.
"The change to Sidney Myer Place will also make the event more visible to the general public," she said.
Greater Bendigo Against Family Violence is a coalition of government and community groups, including the council.
Its walk is not the first event in Bendigo to be affected by heightened risk mitigation measures.
This year's Bendigo Bank Fun Run, held to raise money for the Bendigo Health Foundation, was cancelled due to the costs of implementing safety measures.
Anzac Day marches were also rerouted earlier this year.
After the fun run was cancelled, City of Greater Bendigo manager of tourism and events, Terry Karamaloudis, said the council had a duty of care to the community and had to ensure event organisers took all potential risks into account in their planning.