UPDATE 8pm: City of Greater Bendigo councillor Jennifer Alden said she would miss her colleague Yvonne Wrigglesworth's "skills, intellect and capacity around the council table".
"I am deeply saddened by Yvonne's resignation and also by the fact that, in light of recent, sustained personal attacks, that resignation was her only option," Cr Alden said.
"Yvonne is a highly competent person who, as a councillor for the City of Greater Bendigo, had a genuine concern and vision for Bendigo."
UPDATE 6.50pm: City of Greater Bendigo mayor Margaret O'Rourke said the resignation of councillor Yvonne Wrigglesworth was a "really disappointing" outcome.
Cr O'Rourke confirmed the council had met to talk about issues prior to Cr Wrigglesworth's resignation - including different views within the council and societal expectations - but they had not "finished those conversations".
She told the Bendigo Advertiser she was made aware of Cr Wrigglesworth's decision on Thursday afternoon.
Cr O'Rourke said Cr Wrigglesworth had started an important dialogue within the community.
"It's disappointing she won't be there to continue those conversations," she said.
Regarding the events that precipitated Cr Wrigglesworth's decision, Cr O'Rourke said the City stood by its gender equity strategy, but acknowledged that change took time.
When asked about Cr Wrigglesworth's comments that she was disappointed the council's actions appeared to contradict this strategy, the mayor said there was often conflict between strategy and actions.
"She's been a wonderful contributor," Cr O'Rourke said.
"She's contributed so much to our community in the time she's been a councillor, particularly as an Eppalock ward councillor."
EARLIER: City of Greater Bendigo councillor Yvonne Wrigglesworth has resigned, citing a difference in values between herself and fellow councillors.
Cr Wrigglesworth's resignation comes after she spoke out against the use of 'ring girls' at the council-sponsored boxing match between Jeff Horn and Michael Zerafa last month.
"Recently I called out council actions that I believed contradicted council policy on gender equity," Cr Wrigglesworth, an Eppalock ward councillor, said.
"I pointed out the need to align council action with policy as a measure of good governance.
"Unfortunately, in speaking up, I was personally attacked by some members of the community, elements of the media and sadly by some of my fellow councillors."
- City flags more detailed event discussion following 'ring girls' controversy
- Premier discourages women in positions of decortion at sporting events
- Bendigo councillor speaks out on 'ring girls' at Horn v Zerafa match
- Boxing 'ring girls' disrespectful to women, advocates say
- Council plan to improve gender equity on the cards
- OUR SAY: Bendigo ring girls debate needs to happen, because there's a bigger issue
She said these events clarified a difference in values between herself and most of the other councillors, which made her "continued ability to perform in the councillor role untenable".
Cr Wrigglesworth also said she was "profoundly disappointed" that the City of Greater Bendigo's actions around the issue appeared to contradict its own gender equity strategy, which she was proud to have helped develop, and the leadership statement the council endorsed in March.
But she said she was buoyed by the support she had received from members of the community and others who had contacted her to applaud her stance against "misogynistic and inappropriate behaviour".
Fellow councillor Jennifer Alden also spoke out against the use of ring girls at the boxing event, as did a number of Bendigo-based women's advocates and the director of the Victorian Office for Women in Sport and Recreation, Dr Bridie O'Donnell.
Premier Daniel Andrews later said he encouraged sporting events to do away with such positions as Formula One's 'grid girls', and Bendigo East MP Jacinta Allan said having women in the ring girl role could reinforce negative gender stereotypes.
Cr Wrigglesworth said she wanted to see "courageous leadership" that created a safer future for women and girls.
"In future, it is my desire to see council improve the way community leaders are protected and supported - especially those leaders who have the courage to stand up and call out inappropriate behaviour," she said.
"We must be able to do so without feeling threatened and unsafe in the workplace."
Cr Wrigglesworth said she now looked forward to volunteering in the community, and thanked all those who had supported her.
Mayor Margaret O'Rourke and the City's chief executive officer Craig Niemann have been notified of Cr Wrigglesworth's resignation.
Cr Wrigglesworth said she had obtained advice that she had met all her obligations.
Below is Yvonne Wrigglesworth's statement in full:
"Today I wish to advise that I have resigned as a Councillor with the City of Greater Bendigo Council, following formal notification to the Mayor and CEO.
My decision has been made following recent events which clarified for me the difference in values between myself and the majority of other Councillors; a difference which has made my continued ability to perform in the Councillor role untenable. In tendering my resignation, I have obtained advice that I have met all my obligations.
As a values-driven leader, and a Councillor who has fought strongly for good governance, fairness and community leadership, it is with regret that I am unable to continue as a Councillor for Eppalock Ward.
As a Councillor I was proud to be part of the development of the Gender Equity Strategy and stand behind the Leadership Statement that was endorsed by council in March this year. Following recent events, I am profoundly disappointed that actions by council appear to blatantly contradict council policies with regards to this Strategy and Statement.
Recently I called out council actions that I believed contradicted council policy on gender equity. I pointed out the need to align council action with policy as a measure of good governance. Unfortunately, in speaking up, I was personally attacked by some members of the community, elements of the media and sadly by some of my fellow councillors.
However, I have been buoyed by the support I have received from many members of the community and people who have contacted me from far and wide who have praised my stance of calling out misogynistic and inappropriate behaviour. I also wish to acknowledge the Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews, Minister Jacinta Allen MP, and the Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Sally Capp who have similarly spoken out this week on behaviour that is sexist, unfair, unjust and unacceptable.
In future, it is my desire to see council improve the way community leaders are protected and supported - especially those leaders who have the courage to stand up and call out inappropriate behaviour. We must be able to do so without feeling threatened and unsafe in the workplace. In particular, my hope is that our community supports courageous leadership to create a future that is safer for women and girls with the ongoing support of the Greater Bendigo Coalition for Gender Equity.
Finally, I look forward to continuing to serve my community in a volunteer capacity where I will be able to freely advocate on the issues my community holds dear. I wish to thank my many supporters and members of the Greater Bendigo community, council officers and others who have encouraged me over my term as councillor, especially my family and friends.
This is my final statement and I will not be commenting further on these matters."