Update, 4.44pm: La Trobe University honourary associate in politics Ian Tulloch said he could understand why the state government wanted to postpone the budget.
But it was still a 'very unusual move'.
"Budgets don't usually coincide with elections. It's a bit of a one-off, in that regard," Mr Tulloch said.
He said the state government would be expecting to get a lot more money from the federal government if Labor won the May 18 election.
Mr Tulloch said the government's statement on the budget's postponement included some pointed attacks at the Liberals in Canberra.
"[Premier Daniel] Andrews and [Treasurer Tim] Pallas want to inflict as much damage as they can on the federal and Victorian Liberals," he said.
"Labor stands a good chance of winning three or four seats in Victoria," Mr Tulloch said.
Update, 4.19pm: MEMBER for Bendigo East, Jacinta Allan said the treasurer had been very clear on why the budget had been postponed.
She said it was only reasonable of the state government to wait and see the outcome of the federal election, given the significant difference between what was being offered by the existing government and opposition.
Her comments come following criticism from Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien and Nationals leader Peter Walsh.
Mr Walsh said postponing the budget was a 'shameful abuse of the Victorian Parliament'.
"This is a cover-up by an arrogant Premier who is using the Victorian Parliament to electioneer for his Labor mates in Canberra," Mr Walsh said.
"What doesn't the Labor government want regional Victorians to know?"
Mr O'Brien said Victorians deserved to know the truth about the budget as originally planned on April 30.
"Daniel Andrews doesn't want Victorians to know what Labor's bad economic management looks like as they're about to vote in a federal election," Mr O'Brien said.
Asked how postponing the budget would impact people in her electorate, Ms Allan did not expect programs already funded up until June 30 to be affected.
"Most programs are funded on a financial year to financial year basis," she said.
She expected the impact on her electorate to be determined by which party won the federal election and what they had to offer Victorians.
Update, 3.54pm: A COUNCIL initiative working with small businesses to become more inclusive of people with disability faces uncertainty.
About a month separates the budget from when state government funding used to support the Inclusive Towns program runs dry.
The program is run in the City of Greater Bendigo, Mount Alexander and Loddon shires and works with businesses to become more accessible to customers with disability, and more confident to employ people with disability.
Bendigo community partnerships manager Steven Abbott said the city had applied for a further six months of funding from the state government's Building Inclusive Communities fund.
He said the delay in the budget's release meant more time in which the council couldn't give staffers or stakeholders certainty the program would be sustainable.
"If we don't have certainty around it, it puts the project at risk," Mr Abbott said.
He said staffers were becoming anxious about whether they would still have work after June 30 and were considering looking for jobs elsewhere.
The Inclusive Towns project falls within the city's Disability Access and Inclusion program, which includes the Disability Inclusion Reference Committee, a program of events and activities, as well as advocacy and policy work.
Mr Abbott said it had been communicated to council funding for the Building Inclusive Communities fund would be ending in light of the roll-out of the NDIS.
But the opportunity had become available to apply for a further six months of support.
Should the council be awarded funding, Mr Abbott said the Inclusive Towns program would be secure until the end of the calendar year.
"It is important for the continuity of our work and staffing," he said.
He said the city had allocated funding in its budget to employ staff if funding through the Building Inclusive Communities fund ceased to be available.
It had also applied for funding through the NDIS Information, Linkages and Capacity Building grants.
But Mr Abbott said there would be some limitations on what council could do without the state's support.
Update, 12.34pm: UNCERTAINTY about the economic environment and about investment from all levels of government remain front of mind for the Bendigo business community.
Be.Bendigo chief executive Dennis Bice said a survey in November showed a lack of surety was a key concern for the group's members.
Those worries remained as a federal election loomed, and with the Victorian budget delayed until the state government knows 'who we are dealing with in Canberra'.
"Whenever there is a federal or state election there's always a period of uncertainty or unknown," Mr Bice said.
"It almost gets to a point where businesses sit on their hands until the outcome's known."
Bendigo Senior Secondary College principal Dale Pearce said it was understandable the state government might want to wait until after the federal election to hand down its budget.
He said schools received a combination of federal and state government funding.
"An incoming federal Labor government is clearly going to deliver additional needs-based funding for state schools," Mr Pearce said.
Announcing the delay, the state government cited a 'stark difference' between what was being offered by a potential federal Labor government and a federal Coalition government.
Haven; Home, Safe chief executive Ken Marchingo did not expect the budget being postponed by 27 days to make much of a difference.
"It seems it would be an eminently sensible thing for them to do," he said.
EARLIER: THE state government will wait until it knows 'who we are dealing with in Canberra' to deliver its budget.
The government today announced the Victorian budget had been postponed until May 27, more than a week after Australian voters go to the polls.
The budget was previously set to be handed down on April 30.
"It would be irresponsible to finalise our budget at this time," the government said in a statement.
It cited the 'stark difference being offered to our state by Federal Labor and the Federal Liberals and Nationals' for the decision.
"Only one side is currently putting forward a real partnership with Victoria," the statement said.
RELATED: Tax cuts leave Bendigo behind
"Federal Labor is promising to partner with our state to roll out three-year-old kinder, put more funding into our schools and hospitals, build the Suburban Rail Loop and properly fund the NDIS.
"In stark contrast, the Liberals are short-changing Victoria when it comes to infrastructure, clawing back money from our hospitals, not funding our schools fairly and hoarding money from the NDIS to prop up their bottom line."
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has called an election on May 18.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.