UPDATE 6.05pm: Residents are being urged to help keep the roads clear and keep monitoring conditions after firefighters contained a grassfire in Thistle Street.
Police are now on scene. Roads remain open.
The fire was on vacant land between MacKenzie Steet and Chum Street, near St John of God hospital.
An advice message says there is no threat to nearby properties but people should keep abreast of the situation.
- The CFA is warning smoke in the area may affect people’s health.
- If you can smell smoke, please note:
- Smoke can affect people's health.
- People with heart or lung conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
- People with existing heart or lung conditions (including asthma) should follow the treatment plan advised by the doctor.
- If you need medical advice for burns or exposure to smoke, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
- Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
EARLIER: Firefighters are responding to a fire on Thistle Street, with a community warning expected to be issued shortly.
The fire has just been marked under control.
Tankers from Golden Square, Bendigo and Maiden Gully are responding.
No roads are blocked at present.
More to come.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.