THERE are no plans to cap enrolments at the recently-rebuilt Epsom Primary School despite it approaching capacity in the coming years, the Education Department says.
Instead, the department is working to prioritise enrolments within school zones to handle growth.
A spokesperson said the department was working with stakeholders to find ways for schools to handle population growth.
“The department is working with the school to manage growth by prioritising student enrolments within the designated school zone,” she said.
“The department will continue to work with Greater Bendigo city council, the Victorian Planning Authority and other relevant stakeholders to monitor and plan for government schools to ensure Bendigo students have access to high-quality education as the population grows”
No demountable classrooms will be used at Epsom in Term 1 next year, but the department could not rule out their use in the future.
The department analyses forecast demographic data each year to identify government school shortfalls, which is then used to determine when and where new schools need to be constructed.
On Wednesday, Labor promised to build 100 new schools across Victoria in the next eight years, including 45 between 2019 and 2022, if it wins re-election.
But no new public schools would be built in Bendigo during that time.
Instead, Ballarat will receive schools at Miners Rest and Lucas, seven schools will be built in Casey, a further seven in Wyndham, six in Hume, five in Melton, three in Whittlesea and two in Greater Geelong.
Labor will likely announce the remaining 55 schools ahead of the 2022 election, if it is elected to government later this month.
Huntly Catholic school proposed to take 240 students for 2022
A new Catholic primary school proposed at Huntly could ease some pressure on enrolments, but the school is not due to accept students until 2022.
The plans were submitted this year and the City of Greater Bendigo was waiting for evidence that the site – on Pasley Street, near the Midland Highway – was appropriate for use on environmental grounds.
The property was previously used as a farm for producing chicken eggs, and arsenic and asbestos remained present.
DELWP was also concerned that the plans had not minimised native vegetation loss.
Stage 1 of the school, proposed by Catholic Education Sandhurst, would be complete by 2021 and would accept 240 students with 20 staff for the 2022 school year.
The full development is expected to take between seven and 10 years, and would allow for 650 students.
Have you signed up to the Bendigo Advertiser's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in central Victoria.