The 96-year-old owner of an historic Mount Macedon home that was destroyed by fire on Wednesday is facing another heartbreaking situation: her beloved companion Sienna is missing.
The 15-year-old chocolate brown poodle was believed to have been seen fleeing the burning house, before running back towards it.
But firefighters have not reported finding a dog in the ruins of the home, and it is believed the frightened dog might be hiding nearby.
Sienna’s owner and her carer self-evacuated from the fierce fire that took hold of the 117-year-old home ‘Durrol’ on Wednesday morning.
The property was heritage listed and survived Ash Wednesday.
This week’s fire was believed to have started after a burning log rolled out of a fireplace.
Read more: House fire under control at Mount Macedon
The house was almost fully alight when firefighters arrived, and crews remained until the following morning to ensure the scene was safe.
People living in the Mount Macedon area have been urged to keep an eye out for Sienna, the much-loved dog, so she can reunite with her owner.
Anyone who sees the dog can contact Mount Macedon CFA brigade on 5426 1209.