LVFNL – Superoos back in top five; Maroons regain pole position on ladder

GOING NOWHERE: Mitiamo's Nick Farley has his jumper ripped off in a tackle by Maiden Gully YCW's Nick Waterson on Saturday.

GOING NOWHERE: Mitiamo's Nick Farley has his jumper ripped off in a tackle by Maiden Gully YCW's Nick Waterson on Saturday.


A STRONG second half against Maiden Gully YCW has propelled Mitiamo back into the Loddon Valley league top five.

A week after dropping out of the top five, the Superoos regained their position on Saturday with their 12.10 (82) to 7.9 (51) win at Maiden Gully on a bitterly cold round 12 day.

It was also a result that cost the Eagles their spot at the top of the ladder as they slipped to second.

The Superoos trailed by five points at half-time before booting eight goals to two after the break to record a victory that improved their record to 6-5.

“We moved the footy a lot better in the second half and were able to give our forwards some good opportunities,” Mitiamo coach Andy Grant said.

With a lack of conversion having been one of the constant frustrations for Grant throughout the season, the Superoos were off target again early when they had 1.5 on the board at quarter-time.

READY TO POUNCE: Mitiamo's Tom Grant gets ready to tackle Maiden Gully YCW's Joseph Coatsworth during the Superoos' 31-point win. Pictures: GLENN DANIELS

READY TO POUNCE: Mitiamo's Tom Grant gets ready to tackle Maiden Gully YCW's Joseph Coatsworth during the Superoos' 31-point win. Pictures: GLENN DANIELS

But over the last three quarters the Superoos found their radar in the tricky windy conditions as they kicked 11.5. 

Mid-season recruit Ryan Wellington and co-captain Jarryd Wiegard kicked three goals each for the Superoos and were both among their best players, while Luke Lougoon’s drive off half-back was a feature of Mitiamo’s victory.

The Eagles, who lost their third game of the season, suffered a blow in the third quarter when wingman Nick Waterson’s game ended after a clash of heads with team-mate Brayden Aitken.

Aitken worked hard on his wing all game to be the best player for the Eagles as he continued his consistent season.

“He’s such a good contested ball player with his repeat efforts and tackling,” Eagles coach Wayne Mitrovic said.

“He just brings effort every week.”

Jake Klemm in defence with his hard attack on the ball and ruckman Clint Angove also played well for the Eagles.

“We didn’t do a lot wrong today, but in terms of us improving, these are the sort of games where we’re really challenged that we’re going to get the most growth from,” Mitrovic said.

“The last quarter (outscored 6.0 to 1.2) is the biggest learning point that we’ll be able to take out of the game.”

The result was a 54-point turnaround from their round three meeting in which the Eagles had been victorious by 23.


Newbridge prevailed by 14 points at home over Bears Lagoon-Serpentine in a hard-fought encounter to reclaim top spot on the ladder.

Only one point separated the two sides at three quarter-time as the Bears narrowly led 9.8 to 9.7.

The Bears skipped out to a two-goal lead during the last term, but the Maroons dug deep to reel in the deficit and ease away to a 13.11 (89) to 11.9 (75) victory.

“It was a really competitive game of footy. We were a bit flat early coming off the bye and they threw everything at us, but the boys showed some real heart to get over the line against a quality side,” Newbridge coach Brad Comer said.


In just his fourth game of the season, Rhys Ford was a strong target in attack for the Maroons to boot seven goals, while Austin Fithall (two goals) also did plenty of good work inside 50 for Newbridge.

“It was probably Austin’s best game of the year… he was a real livewire and gave us another target up forward,” Comer said.

Also playing fine games for the Maroons were defender Chris McLean, who had the job on the Bears’ James Rippingale (two goals), and Edward Coulthard on Andrew Gladman.

The defeat cost the Bears their position in the top five as they fell to sixth, one game behind Mitiamo.

Creative forward Cody Gunn kicked four of the Bears’ 11 goals and now has 32 for the season.

Like he was last week, half-back Josh Walsh was again named the best player for the Bears, who have the bye next week.

“It was a tight tussle all day… they had some more experienced players around the footy than we did and we just couldn’t quite hang on,” Bears coach Greg Gadsden said.


Pyramid Hill recorded a season-steadying win by 54 points over Marong.

Having lost their previous four games, the Bulldogs returned to the winner’s list as they restricted the Panthers to just three goals in their 11.14 (80) to 3.8 (26) triumph at Pyramid Hill.

“The boys bounced back today and executed really well in what were tough conditions,” Bulldogs co-coach Gavin James said.

“Getting a few players back into the side today really helped us, particularly with a few extra rotations through the midfield.

“We moved the ball well in patches and our pressure around the footy was really good, so overall I think the boys would be fairly happy with how they played.”

Among the inclusions into the Bulldogs side was the return of their skipper Trent Barri following a hamstring injury.

Young gun Steven Gunther (three goals) and the in-form Matt Klein-Breteler led the best players for the Bulldogs, with the pair playing rotating midfield/forward roles. 

It was another tough day for the Panthers, whose scoring has dried up having been restricted to totals of just 26, 43 and 38 in their past three games.

Despite the one-sided scoreline, the Panthers did manage to narrowly outscore the Bulldogs 1.3 to 1.1 in the final term.

Josh Griffin and Sam Harvey battled hard to be the two best for the Panthers, who have no respite next week when they come up against the flag-favourite Newbridge.

The Panthers’ three goals were kicked by coach Corbin Fleming, assistant coach Jarrod Fitzpatrick and Harvey.


There was no repeat of Inglewood’s headline-grabbing win over Calivil United from round three as the Demons won their return bout by 59 points.

The Demons, missing six of their best 22, held the Blues goal-less in the second and third quarters on the way to a 14.15 (99) to 6.4 (40) win at Calivil.

“It wasn’t a great day for footy with the wind and we probably missed a lot of easy shots as a result,” said Demons coach Anthony Dennis, who was among the 10 goalkickers for his side.

“Inglewood’s pressure up until half-time and their zone set-up around kick-ins was very good, but once we were able to get on top we were able to break the game open.”

Midfielder/flanker Levi Moss took best-on-ground honours for the Demons, who got plenty of creative run off the half-back line from Sam Brinsmead and Brock Rogers.

Inside 50 Daniel Reid (three), Jesse Muscatello (two) and captain Chris Down (two) were multiple goalkickers in what was the Demons’ fourth victory in a row that kept the reigning premiers in third position.

The defeat was Inglewood’s eighth on the trot and featured another hard-working game from impressive youngster Bailey Evans, who has been one of the team’s shining lights this season.