Goulburn-Murray Water is warning the public to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock after monitoring detected high levels of blue-green algae.
Warning signs will be positioned at major recreational areas around Lake Eppalock and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present. Lake Eppalock will not be closed to the public.
GMW recommends water users at Lake Eppalock seek an alternative supply.
A blue-green algae warning also remains current for Cairn Curran Reservoir and Hepburns Lagoon.
- People and pets do not enter the water.
- People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
- Seeking an alternative water supply for stock and pets.
- Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.
- Reading GMW’s fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at the group’s blue-green algae web page.
Blue-green algae occur naturally in waterbodies. They contain toxins that are harmful to humans and animals. Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness; sore eyes, ears and nose; or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels.
Water supplied by GMW is not suitable for human consumption without first being properly treated. Human consumption includes showering, bathing, washing, cooking, ice making and drinking.
Keep up to date with current blue-green algae warnings here or phone the GMW blue-green algae hotline on 03 5826 3785.