Patrons at Bendigo’s GPO restaurant in Pall Mall were evacuated tonight after three CFA crews were called to the popular eatery.
Patrons were evacuated on to Pall Mall after a piece of paper caught fire and activated the smoke alarms.
Three CFA units attended the incident.
Senior Station Officer Hugh Kelly said GPO staff’s response to the alarm was excellent.
“There was no danger, the smoke alarm has done what it is supposed to do,” he said.
“The staff were really good they have run through their fire drill every six months, which is great.”
The area was declared safe by 9pm with patrons and staff returning to the restaurant.
Meanwhile, three CFA crews attended a house in Norma Street, Golden Square, after insulation in the roof of a house began smouldering.
Lieutenant James O’Brien said there were obvious signs of smoke in the roof and house when fire crews arrived.
“We had to remove some of the roofing where trade insulation works had been taking place recently. We believe in the area they have been working, something has caused an ignition of insulation,” he said.
“It is undetermined what caused it at this stage but we caught it quickly and used a positive pressure fan to bloke the smoke out, so the residents can reside there tonight.”
Lieutenant O’Brien said the residents were home when the smouldering began and did the right thing in calling Triple-0 immediately.