There were plenty of smiles to be seen on the faces of the 20,000 music fans who packed the Prince of Wales Showgrounds on Saturday for the Groovin The Moo music festival, but what should have been a fun day was marred for at least four people when they were taken to hospital following overdoses.
Revellers were no doubt happy that the chilly Friday of the day before had given way to a warm and mostly sunny day for the festival, which was sold out in its 10th year in Bendigo.
Promoter Steve Halpin said he thought it was one of the best shows they had had in the city, largely because of the weather.
The vast majority of people appeared to be having a fun time.
But the experience turned serious for some attendees.
An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said four males, aged in their teens and early 20s, were taken from the North Bendigo site to Bendigo Health for further medical treatment after suffering drug overdoses.
Ambulance Victoria supported first aid service St John Ambulance at the festival, and the spokesman said a number of other people were treated at the festival site for various issues.
Bendigo Health was unable to comment if anyone sought help for issues related to the festival, but reported there was no increase in presentations to the emergency department on Saturday.
A pill-testing trial held at the festival’s earlier Canberra event uncovered drugs containing two dangerous substances – one believed to be the same chemical linked to three deaths last year