Man taken to hospital with burns after campsite incident near Serpentine

A man has been taken to Bendigo hospital with burns to his stomach and arms after trying to put up a light in a tent at a campsite in Serpentine. 

Senior Constable Peter Halpin of Wedderburn Police said the man, in his 30s, was putting up a light in his gazebo early Wednesday evening when he dropped the light, which ruptured a line connected to a gas bottle. 

The gas from the bottle, which was connected to a fridge, was then ignited by the fridge’s pilot light. 

Senior Constable Halpin described the incident, in which the man suffered flash burns initially and then latterly as he tried to throw away the gas bottle, as a “purely unlucky accident”.

Ambulance Victoria said the man was taken to hospital in a stable condition.

Two local fire brigades attended the incident.