Bendigo stabbing: Man charged with murder


A STRATHFIELDSAYE man has been charged with murder following a stabbing death in Bendigo.

The 40-year-old faced an out-of-sessions court hearing in Bendigo, where he was remanded to appear at Bendigo Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.

Police arrested the man this morning in Strathdale in relation to the death of another man in Bendigo yesterday.

A 49-year-old Bendigo man died in hospital after being located outside a King Street address about 12.30pm Wednesday with serious life-threatening injuries.


More footage from this morning’s arrest at Strath Village:


Police have arrested a man at Strathdale in relation to the stabbing death of a man in Bendigo yesterday.

The 40-year-old Eppalock man was arrested at the Strath Village Shopping Centre shortly before 9am Thursday.

He will now be interviewed by Homicide Squad detectives.

A 49-year-old man was found with life-threatening injuries outside a King Street address about 12.30pm Wednesday.

He later died in hospital.

The investigation is ongoing.


Homicide Squad detectives are believed to have arrested someone at Strath Village Shopping Centre this morning.

A man was taken into custody outside Strathdale Pharmacy.

Police have confirmed they attended Bendigo train station as part of their investigations into the stabbing homicide in Bendigo yesterday.

Forensic teams are on site at King Street.

At the same time, a forensics team recovered a knife from the carpark of the Coles Supermarket on Myers Street in Bendigo.

It is not known whether the knife is related to yesterday’s fatal incident.

Police officers cordoned off a section of the carpark near the Myers Street entrance about 9.20am, photographing and bagging the sharp object. 

More to come.

UPDATE Thursday 8.20am

Police remain on guard this morning at the scene of yesterday’s fatal stabbing in Bendigo.

A man was found with life-threatening injuries to his lower body outside a King Street address about 12.30pm on Wednesday.

Police at the scene of Wednesday's stabbing on Thursday morning.

Police at the scene of Wednesday's stabbing on Thursday morning.

He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, but later died.

Victoria Police’s canine unit and air wing attended the scene for a search, although the purpose of their search was not disclosed.

The Homicide Squad is investigating.


KING Street has been declared a crime scene after a fatal stabbing in Bendigo today.

Emergency services were called to a residential address about 12.30pm, outside of which a man with life-threatening injuries was located.

The man was taken to hospital, where he died a short time later. 

He had yet to be formally identified by Wednesday evening.

Homicide Squad detectives were among the many police units to descend on the scene throughout the day.

Marked and unmarked police cars lined the street for hours as investigations continued.

The Victoria Police Dog Squad conducted a land search around the crime scene and the adjacent railway track.

A helicopter from the Victoria Police Air Wing could be heard buzzing overhead as members conducted an intensive search of central Bendigo from the skies.

The objective of the search efforts is not yet known.

Homicide Squad detectives were still investigating the circumstances surrounding the man’s death at the time of writing.

The street remained closed to the public, as it had been for most of the day.

As many people in Bendigo were sitting down to dinner, forensic staff were laying down markers, photographing evidence and processing the scene.

Police sought the assistance of SES members to light the scene as their investigations continued into the evening.

Emergency services accounted for the bulk of the traffic flowing in and out of the cordoned-off areas of King Street.

People wishing to return to homes beyond the police tape liaised with members controlling access to the scene throughout the day.

Theodore Theodorou, who lives in a neighbouring unit, was not home at the time of the stabbing.

But he received a call from his shaken 17-year-old daughter, who said a man came to their door asking for Mr Theodorou.

Another of his neighbours then phoned him, saying a man who lived in one of the units had come to her door covered in blood and had apparently been stabbed.

An offender has yet to be located.

Police have urged anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or to submit a confidential crime report at