Planning to visit Lake Eppalock or Cairn Curran Reservoir to cool off in the summer heat anytime soon?
You will probably need to change your plans, with high levels of blue-green algae still present in the water at the popular recreation spots.
People are advised to avoid contact with the water at both locations.
Blue-green algae contain toxins that can cause rashes, itchiness, asthma, numbness of lips and limbs, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and sore eyes, ears and nose.
People should not eat any mussels, yabbies or crayfish from algae-affected areas.
Stock and pets should also be kept away from the water.
Goulburn-Murray Water says it is not known how long the blue-green algae will remain at high levels, but cool, cloudy and windy weather does help to reduce blue-green algae levels.
Updates on the blue-green algae situation can be found at the GM Water website.