Two charged, two on the loose, as hunt for fatal hit-run gang continues

The hunt for two youths linked to the hit-run death of a Melbourne father has stretched into a third day, despite two other teenagers allegedly involved in the crash being charged on Friday.

As family and friends of Keith Stevens mourned his death, police interviewed the teenagers about multiple offences allegedly committed this week.

The crime spree allegedly continued after the death of Mr Stevens, who was riding his motorbike home from his job as a sheet metal worker when he was struck in Mitcham on Wednesday afternoon.

A 17-year-old has been charged with culpable driving and numerous aggravated burglary offences and will face a children's court at a later date.

He is alleged to have been driving the stolen BMW X5 when he failed to give way at the intersection of Orient Avenue and Glenburnie Road.

An 18-year-old from Seaford was set to appear before a bail justice on Friday night charged with aggravated burglary, attempted aggravated burglary, and other offences.

After the car allegedly driven by the 17-year-old crashed into Mr Stevens, he was dragged 85 metres, before he and his motorbike caught fire.

The 33-year-old Mitcham man, who had a son and partner, had lived in Melbourne for several years after moving from his native Scotland.

"Keith was a loving father, son, partner and friend to many," his family wrote in a statement.

"Born in Scotland, he called Australia home. His death is being felt by the lives he touched around the world.

"His passing in the most tragic of circumstances has left us all with immense grief and overwhelming sadness."

Mr Stevens' family thanked the "caring people" who assisted at the scene, police officers for their support and hospital staff who kept him on life support until they were able to say their goodbyes.

Mr Stevens was an organ donor, and his family said, "We know he would be pleased that in these most tragic of circumstances he was able to help improve the quality of others' lives."

Mr Stevens, who had lived in Australia for at least five years, often posted on Facebook about the eccentricities of his new homeland including the evening heat in summer and finding a redback spider while replacing a tail light.

The BMW was stolen in late October, and the four youths are allegedly linked to a string of offences after the hit-run, including aggravated burglaries and car thefts.

The extent of their offending prior to the hit-run remains unclear, but police said they were investigating.

After the crash, the driver quickly reversed the BMW from the scene then sped away towards EastLink.

About 15 minutes after the crash, he parked the BMW in a lane on EastLink, and, with the other men, ran up an embankment, scaled a fence, and started terrorising residents in Haideh Place, Scoresby.

A Toyota Camry stolen in the rampage was found burnt out in Narre Warren North early on Thursday.

Detective Inspector Stuart McGregor from the major collisions investigation unit warned the youths on Thursday that they would be caught.

"The fact is, you're going to have to face justice. The fact is, we're going to arrest you," he said.

"You may as well do the right thing and hand yourselves in."

This story Two charged, two on the loose, as hunt for fatal hit-run gang continues first appeared on The Age.