Police believe an electrical fault caused a car fire in Long Gully this morning.
Fire crews were called to the Holdsworth Road address about 4.50am after a parked Nissan Pulsar caught fire.
The car was parked out the front of a residential unit about 9.30pm on Thursday and residents were woken by the sound of the car’s horn beeping early this morning.
Police said the fire is not being viewed as suspicious.
Five Bendigo firefighters attended and were able to contain the blaze to the car.
Bendigo senior station officer John Lane said the fire could have easily spread into the building if it had gone unnoticed.
It was a busy night for the Bendigo CFA, with crews also being called to assist with a structure fire in Seymour.
Seven firefighters and the Bendigo ladder platform and protective equipment van attended the fire, senior station officer Mark Nevill said.
The fire broke out on the second-storey of a set of units in Station Street just before 8pm.
The ground floor of the building contained a hairdressing salon and a retail store, with residential space on the first floor.
The Bendigo ladder platform was called in to assist to allow crews to fight the fire from the top, a CFA spokesperson said.
One person was rescued from the second-storey of the building and there is significant damage to both floors.
Unattended cooking was the cause of the fire.
A CFA spokesperson said it was one of the leading causes of preventable house fires.
“Preventing a fire can come down to simple things like being aware of what distracts you,” the CFA spokesperson said.