Alleged thief refused bail

AN ALLEGED thief and drug trafficker has unleashed a torrent of verbal abuse after being refused bail in Bendigo Magistrates Court.

Andrew Campbell, 33, swore at the magistrate as police cuffed him and led him from the building, called the officers "dogs", and claimed he'd been locked up for crimes he had not committed.

The Echuca man faced court on Friday on five charges including two counts of theft and one count of breaching bail.

The court heard Campbell was arrested on Thursday after a routine police check of his vehicle found a boot-full of allegedly stolen tools.

He was then interviewed over thefts at Echuca's Supercheap Auto in June and Coles Liquorland in July where $180 worth of tools and a bottle of bourbon were stolen.

Police informant Leading Senior Constable Robin Kerr told the court Campbell claimed he had bought the tools from an associate.

He said Campbell was already on bail for a series of serious offences between June and July including trafficking a drug of dependence, possessing and using amphetamines, theft, and possessing a controlled weapon.

The court heard police intercepted his vehicle at a Heathcote service station on July 4 after receiving reports he had stolen more than 20 gift cards from a Hume Freeway service station earlier that day.

Leading Senior Constable Kerr said while officers were talking to other people in the car, Campbell ordered a taxi and tried to flee with a bag of allegedly stolen goods.

He said the bag contained about 100 items including clothing with security tags still attached, alcohol, sex toys and a knife.

Police opposed Campbell's bail application on the grounds he had committed offences while on bail and was likely to re-offend.

Campbell, who appeared without a lawyer, told the court he was on the way to the Bendigo courthouse to avoid a warrant being issued for his arrest when officers intercepted him.

He said he'd recently been released from custody after spending 14 months on remand for a crime for which a Supreme Court jury acquitted him, was getting his life back on track and had good job prospects. 

Magistrate Richard Wright said Campbell had failed to satisfy him he would not re-offend while on bail and refused his application.

He remanded Campbell in custody and adjourned the matters to September.