Roos step closer to a finals berth

Kangaroo Flat's Corbin Fleming kicked three goals against Kyneton.

Kangaroo Flat's Corbin Fleming kicked three goals against Kyneton.

KANGAROO Flat moved a step closer to a rare Bendigo Football League finals berth after kicking away from Kyneton in the second half on Saturday to win by 47 points.

The Roos - who have played finals just once since 2001 - maintained fifth position on the ladder heading into the last round following their 16.16 (112) to 9.11 (65) victory over the Tigers at the Kyneton Showgrounds.

The game was in the balance at half-time as the Roos led by two points, 7.9 to 7.7.

But whereas the third quarter was the Achilles Heel of the Roos against Strathfieldsaye a week earlier, on Saturday it was their match-winning period of the game when they kicked six goals to one to gain the ascendancy.

From 35 points up at three quarter-time, the Roos - aiming to become the first team since Kyneton in 2003 to climb from wooden-spooners into the finals the following season - added a further three goals to one in the final term as they improved their record to 9-8 and kept a one-game buffer on the chasing Eaglehawk.

"The boys were really good in the second half today," Kangaroo Flat coach Jason Stevens said.

"Kyneton came to play early and we were under pressure, but the boys were able to stand up to the challenge and get over the line."

The forward quartet of Cameron Rinaldi (five), Matt Giri (four), Corbin Fleming (three) and co-captain Tim Brooks (two) combined for 14 of Kangaroo Flat's 16 goals.

Midfield recruits Corey Greer - who set Kangaroo Flat alight early in the third quarter with his centre clearance work - and James Saville were the best for the Roos, along with fellow onballer Billy White, small defender Jarryd Wiegard and Rinaldi, whose haul of five goals took him to 52 for the season.

The Roos were inaccurate early, kicking 1.7 in the first quarter, at which stage they trailed Kyneton by 20 points.

But after the Tigers kicked five goals in the first term, they only kicked four more for the rest of the game.

"Our work-rate dropped away badly in the third quarter in particular and theirs lifted," Tigers coach Mark Adamson said.

"We stopped winning contested footy and we just gave them too much space and we just didn't have enough contributors when the game was there to be won."

The Tigers were hampered by injuries to Kane Ransted (groin) and key defender Josh Houlden (ankle).

Consistent midfielder Jake Hyland continues to impress and was the Tigers' best player.

William Daly, vice-captain Michael Clancy, Ryan Dubens and Campbell Kirk were others in the best for the Tigers, while Ben Weightman bagged five goals.


Discuss "Roos step closer to a finals berth"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.