A BALLARAT company has received a building contract for the second stage of Kerang District Health's redevelopment, with construction to start later in July.
Health Minister David Davis announced on Monday that the $36.3 million contract had been awarded to Nicholson Construction.
“The builders are due on site later this month and the Kerang community will soon get a feeling of the new facilities that will service the area following completion,” Mr Davis said.
The main stage of work will include a new residential aged care building, an upgrade of the acute ward in the main hospital building and new radiology and emergency departments.
“Kerang will also benefit from a new day procedures building and ambulance station adjacent to the hospital, so there will be a new health precinct the whole Kerang community can be proud of," Mr Davis said.
“This redevelopment delivers on an election commitment for the residents of Kerang and the surrounding areas.”
The first stage of the Kerang District Health upgrade comprised a new allied health building, kitchen and workshop, and other redevelopment necessary to enable progression to the main stage.
The new facility is expected to be finished by the end of 2015. It is jointly funded by the Victorian state government and the Commonwealth government.
Nicholson Construction has a long history of work in country Victoria, including a number of hospital and health projects. The company was also selected to carry out the Castlemaine Hospital redevelopment earlier this year.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.