Crown bouncer stepped up pain, says witness who suffered broken wrist

Crown casino patron Evan Koka was screaming out in pain when being restrained by security staff before one bouncer increased the pressure on his hand, hurting him even more, a court has heard.

Mr Koka suffered two fractures to his right wrist before being thrown out of the casino.

The bouncer, Matthew Lawson, 27, has been charged with one count each of recklessly causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury and unlawfully assaulting Mr Koka.

Lawson is alleged to have broken Mr Koka's right wrist using the "goose neck" technique when leading him out of the casino just after 3am on June 20, 2011. The technique involves the hand being held downwards with force.

A committal hearing for Lawson in the Melbourne Magistrates Court has been told the bouncer was found not guilty by a Supreme Court jury in November last year of the manslaughter of Anthony Dunning, 40, after an altercation at the casino in July 2011.

Mr Koka told the court on Tuesday that he was being escorted out when Lawson and another bouncer each took hold of one of his hands.

He told Lawson, who had grabbed his right hand: "Man, I'm sorry. Just leave me alone. I want to leave, I want to leave.

"I was in pain. He started more pain," Mr Koka, who needed the help of an Arabic interpreter to give his evidence, said. "He was holding it [Mr Koka's wrist] more harder."

Mr Koka had been refusing to leave because he wanted to know why he was facing a two-year ban after being recognised as the person carrying a pen-sized laser pointer a few weeks earlier.

Security staff claimed Mr Koka had been pointing the laser at the CCTV cameras but he said he was just playing around with it.

Asked by defence barrister Lachlan Carter if he was being aggressive when being escorted out, Mr Koka said: "I wasn't aggressive. He [Lawson] was saying to me, 'Let's go, let's go fight.' "

Mr Koka said he told Lawson and other security staff they had to respect people and treat them like human beings.

"I was telling him [Lawson], "You have bad personality." He can't talk to me like this. He was treating me like bad."

Mr Koka denied trying to headbutt Lawson before the bouncer restrained him.

He remembered Lawson and the other bouncer were hurting him when bending his hands.

"I never thought that's what they're going to do.

"I remember they pushed me up to the wall. I wouldn't calm down at this point. I was screaming, I was screaming. I was in pain.

"I'm saying, 'I'm sorry, leave me alone,' and he [Lawson] is just doing it stronger and harder.

"He was pushing my hand down, causing me pain.

"I didn't want to fight with them. I wanted to break free of their grip."

Mr Koka said he pleaded with Lawson and the other bouncer to let go of his hands but they refused until he was outside.

The hearing continues.

This story Crown bouncer stepped up pain, says witness who suffered broken wrist first appeared on The Age.