Fire guts popular Kyneton business

LOCAL businesses are hoping Kyneton Laundromat can re-open after the building was destroyed by fire on the weekend.

The laundromat in Mollison Street was engulfed by flames  about 8.30pm on Saturday.

Firefighters battled the blaze until after 2am. 

Kyneton CFA incident controller Rohan Dickins said the owners were devastated. 

“The premises were empty at the time,” Mr Dickins said.

“The property owners came to inspect the next morning but unfortunately everything was lost.

“The intensity of the fire destroyed the entire building.”

Mr Dickins said 45 firefighters had worked late into the night to bring the fire under control and were able to contain it to the laundromat.

He said the fire, which was believed to have been started by an electrical fault, threatened neighbouring businesses.

“It was getting very close to the takeaway food shop next door. The firefighters did well to contain it to within the laundromat itself.”

The laundromat had operated in the main street for years, and was open from 8am to 10pm each day.

Manager of the Kyneton Copy Centre in Mollison Street, Phil Tunzi, said it was horrible to see an established store lost. 

“It’s an essential business in the area,” Mr Tunzi said. “It’s a business that everyone seemed to use. 

“To think that it’s operating one day and then the next, it’s just a pile of ash. It’s terrible,” he said.

Mollisons accommodation owner Yvonne Paulke said people were sad to see the extent of damage of the fire.

“For everybody who works here it was devastating,” she said. “It’s sad that had to happen at this time of year. I’m just glad the owners were okay.” 

Mr Tunzi said he expected the local community would support with the big task of re-building.

“It’s certainly the talking point around here. Everyone’s hoping it can re-open.”

Mr Dickins said another fire earlier in the year had damaged the takeaway diner next door.

Fire investigators have investigated the laundromat fire and will prepare a report on its suspected cause. 

Blaze: Fire destroyed the Kyneton Laundromat on Saturday night. Picture: Jodie Donnellan

Blaze: Fire destroyed the Kyneton Laundromat on Saturday night. Picture: Jodie Donnellan


Discuss "Fire guts popular Kyneton business"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.