An eight-year-old child playing with matches has set alight a Long Gully house tonight.
Bendigo CFA volunteers were called to the Stray Street address about 6.30pm where they found two rooms fully engulfed in flames.
The fire started in a bedroom before spreading to an adjoining room and threatening the rear of the property.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze, but not before significant smoke and heat damage throughout the home.
Powercor workers and paramedics were also called to the scene but none of the home’s occupants required medical attention.
It is not known how many people were inside at the time of the fire.
Read more: Prepare now for fire season, residents told
Sergeant Jason Bourke from Bendigo police station confirmed the fire began when a young member of the family was playing with matches.
CFA members hosed down their uniforms and equipment after extinguishing the fire, believing the house contained asbestos.