Scroll down to see the full season.
MURDER mysteries, pantomimes, singing teenagers and an iconic musical will feature in Bendigo Theatre Company’s 2018 season.
The company will present Fiddler on the Roof as it’s major musical in July.
Featuring themes of love, pride and faith, the production will be staged at Ulumbarra more than 50 years since the original show debuted on Broadway.
After a successful debut year, BTC’s Tribe Youth Theatre will bring two shows to life in 2018 – Terry Pratchett’s Wyrd Sisters and family favourite Grease in September.
“Tribe Youth Theatre will present the much-loved Grease The Musical, perfectly complemented by our major musical Fiddler on the Roof,” BTC vice president Abe Watson said.
“(Fiddler) is a story of tradition, repression, prejudice and diaspora which continues to evoke common ground for audiences today — wherever they are.”
October-November sees BTC bring the world’s longest-running play to Bendigo– Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap.
The whodunit murder mystery features mysterious notes, red herrings and a twist ending that audiences are asked to keep secret.
“The Mousetrap will leave you spellbound as it has done to audiences on the West End for over 65 years,” Mr Watson said.
BTC will also be hosting stagecraft workshops throughout 2018. Industry professionals will host the workshops in areas including audition preparation (February), stage management (June) and settings and lighting design (September).
“We pride ourself on our constant evolution, innovation and drive to do better,” Mr Watson said.
“Our aim is to provide opportunities for members of the community to enjoy and develop their theatrical talents.”
Also in BTC’s Shed will be a pantomime of Beauty and the Best (in January) and the Tenx10 short-play festival (in March). Play submissions for Tenx10 close at midnight on December 31.
After forming in 2017, BTC’s all-inclusive choir The B Sharp Chorus will perform recitals publicly for the first time in June ahead of a second recital in November.
Bendigo Theatre Company’s 2018 season:
- JANUARY – Beauty and the Beast pantomime Bendigo Theatre Company
- FEBRUARY – Audition preparation workshop – Adam Lyon Bendigo Theatre Company
- MARCH – TENx10 short plays Bendigo Theatre Company
- APRIL – Tribe Youth Theatre presents Wyrd Sisters Bendigo Theatre Company
- JUNE – Stage management workshop – Kyrilee Bodin Bendigo Theatre Company
- JUNE – Vocal recital Bendigo Theatre Company
- JULY – Fiddler on the Roof Ulumbarra Theatre
- SEPTEMBER Lighting and scenic design workshop – Rob Sowinski Bendigo Theatre Company
- SEPTEMBER – Tribe Youth Theatre presents Grease Girton Grammar School
- OCTOBER-NOVEMBER – Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap Bendigo Theatre Company
- NOVEMBER – Vocal recital Bendigo Theatre Company
- DECEMBER – Members’ cabaret Bendigo Theatre Company
- DECEMBER – Kids’ Christmas Concert