Wood heater sparks fire in Eaglehawk home

RESIDENTS have been urged to clean out the flues of their fires and wood heaters following a house fire in Eaglehawk on Easter Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the Leslie Street property at 9.43pm because of a fire in the roof.

The occupants were evacuated, but the fire was contained to the roof space and there was no extensive damage.

Bendigo CFA senior station officer Craig Houlahan said residents should ensure their flues were cleaned.

He said flues would otherwise contain a build-up of fuel, which could catch alight and spark fires.