Bendigo show set to thrill

Related coverage: Rides deliver big thrills at Bendigo show

THE cakes and preserves have been entered, horses’ tails have been plaited and the fairy floss machines are ready to start spinning.

Organisers are expecting over 20,000 people to visit the Bendigo Agricultural Show at the Prince of Wales Showgrounds over the next two days.

Bendigo show secretary Rod Bowles said show-goers were in for a treat, with good weather forecast for today and tomorrow.

“It’s looking good at the moment. If the rain holds off, we should get a big crowd in,” he said.

Ms Bowles said the ever-popular animal nursery and the huge array of rides and showbags would keep the children occupied.

Fireworks on tonight and tomorrow night will make sure the show goes off with a bang.

New events to the show this year include the woodchop competition, archery, and a dog-showing competition – which will be staged in the newly-built pavilion. Mr Bowles said this year’s show is celebrating the Australian Year of the Farmer.

A vintage tractor display will be held on Saturday and special Year of the Farmer awards will be presented to winners in the show competitions.

Mr Bowles said there had been an overwhelming amount of entries in all the home craft and animal sections.

There were nearly 1000 entries in the photography competition this year, 300 more than last year.

Mr Bowles has been organising the show for 12 years and said he loved the family element of the event.

“In the competitions, you see the kids growing up,” he said. 

“They were little when they started entering and when they get older they still compete. 

“There’s a lot of history as well. Grandmothers, mothers and children all put their things into the show.”

Gates at the Prince of Wales Showgrounds open at 9am.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop