NO ONE has applied for government grants for the Viewpoint Huntly Estate.
The $38,800 grants are available to low and middle-income families looking to enter the housing market, with applications yesterday extended to November 16.
While no one has applied for one of the 100 grants, which will be drawn by ballot early December, Integra director Matt Agterhuis said it wasn’t cause for concern.
“Not at all... we think the campaign is on track,” he said.
“We’ve had 56 pre-sales in there at the moment, which is one of the fastest selling estates in Bendigo’s history.
“There’s been a really positive reception to the project in the marketplace.”
A website for the estate has had about 400 hits, and Mr Agterhuis is happy with the inquiries.
He said while the term “low income” could be concerning to potential buyers, it wasn’t entirely accurate.
“It’s probably a misconception,” he said.
“When you look at the income threshold for a couple with two children, it’s about $120,000 a year. “I wouldn’t put that anywhere near low-income.”
The estate aims to ease housing stress in the area.
Situated in a growth corridor, the 856 planned homes will cater for an expanding population.
City of Greater Bendigo planning and development director Prue Mansfield said she had been happy with the level of interest shown in the development.
“There has been a steady stream of inquiries,” she said.
“It really is a major opportunity for people to establish themselves in Bendigo with a government grant to help with their housing. It will certainly ease the strain in our housing market and enable people currently renting to buy, which frees up rental accommodation.”
The council is working with Integra and Ethan Affordable Housing on the project.
Mr Agterhuis said people were probably gathering information and going through the application process before applying for the grants, which can be used as a deposit.